When it comes to window dressings, the number of choices and combinations available seem endless. In the end, most people find themselves choosing between two options – blinds or curtains. As you’d expect, there are pros and cons for both choices and your final decision comes down to personal preference and the specifics of the room and its windows.
Perhaps the biggest point of difference between the two is that blinds tend to be more affordable and better for light control, while curtains enhance style and give softness to a space. Here’s a quick list of pros and cons for each to help narrow it down for you:
- Greatest degree of light control and being able to manage the heat coming in or out.
- Best block out capability and therefore better control over privacy.
- Takes up less space than curtains when opened.
- Easy to clean and highly durable.
- More affordable (particularly important if you’re dressing multiple windows).
- Easily personalised and tailored to suit your design and operational needs including colours, fabrics and unique window configurations.
- Colour and fabric can fade as blinds are always in direct line of sunlight.
- If damaged, can be hard to repair and so often require full replacement.
- Aesthetically pleasing and high impact in a room.
- Creates feelings of luxury and comfort.
- Tailored for the desired length, size, colour, fabric, and even preferred hanging method.
- More expensive.
- Curtains tend to take up more space and require clearance from furniture to ensure proper operation.
- In rooms like bathrooms and kitchens, they can attract mould and staining from moisture.
- More difficult to clean and can require cleaning more often when in high traffic/common areas.
Using these pros and cons as a guide and to help make your decision easier, you can also ask yourself these simple questions:
- Do you need the room to have a total black out or particularly dark at certain times? (Think nurseries, TV or cinema rooms)
- Is the room a wet area like a laundry or bathroom?
- Do you want to make a statement with your dressings? What sort of statement do you want to make?
- What size and shape are your windows? Do you want to showcase their size and shape or leave as much clearance to a view?
- What furniture is in the room? What furniture is being placed near the windows?
- Is the room central to your home? Is it in a high traffic area? Do you expect the room to get dirty often?
If you’re leaning more towards blinds for your windows, contact us today and talk us through your ideas for your home.